Monday, January 29, 2007

Life and Kurosawa

Is it okay not to like Rashomon? (Movie Dictator doesn’t think so.)

To be fair, it was late when we watched it, and it came on the heels of two lovely Korean tearjerkers (Traces of Love and Ing). Still, I really struggled through Rashomon. I felt it was excruciatingly slow, and I couldn’t connect to the story.

So far, we’ve watched Kurosawa’s Ikiru (mostly liked it, except for the last third; but Movie Dictator made me see the light), The Hidden Fortress (an adventure story, very enjoyable and funny), and Dreams (stunningly beautiful, probably my favorite so far). I’m sure there’s more to come.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I love Hidden Fortress. It was playing around here recently, as a midnight show somewhere. I assume you noticed (or the Movie Dictator pointed out) that it was the inspiration for Star Wars?

... said...

He did!

I probably wouldn't have noticed it though.