Thursday, February 1, 2007

Why I Love Arlington Public Library

But first a couple of side notes:

1. I’m enjoying blogging so far. What I’m learning, though, is that it’s no fun when you don’t get any responses. If a tree falls in a forest and no one’s there… does it really fall? I’ve always been the kind of person who never left comments. But I’m reformed now. Promise!

2. Some news on the job front. Did another phone interview yesterday (with a college in San Francisco area), and I think it actually went okay. Also got a note from a university in Connecticut trying to schedule an on-campus interview. That was unexpected, as there were no preliminary interviews (on the phone or in person). Don’t have any details yet, but I’m feeling excited and nervous.

Now back to the previously scheduled topic: the library.

Ideally, I am fine working at home. However, having two writers in the same smallish apartment can get claustrophobic. So I’ve been writing in various cafes in the area – not a perfect solution, but doable with the help of earplugs.

Then I discovered Arlington Public Library. It’s quiet! That’s probably the best things about it. Occasionally, you get some teenagers jabbering on the phone, or a couple of seniors talking history books and how Stalin was an okay guy and how we should nuke all of the Middle East. But those are exceptions. For the most part, everyone is courteous and focused on his or her work. There are plenty of tiny cubicle-desks (each comes with a shelf and a lamp), which make for some much needed privacy. Plenty of electric outlets (each desk is equipped with them). Free wireless on the third floor. Also you don’t have to keep spending money on food. I usually bring along my lunch and later eat in my car (no food in the library!). A little uncomfortable, but I get to listen to the NPR while I eat. Parking can be challenging, but after 5-10 minutes of waiting a space usually frees up.

Still, there are days when it’s cold and windy outside, and all you want is to sit on a comfy couch with your computer in your lap, tinkering with your writing while sipping hot tea and snacking on egg-and-cheese sandwiches. Which is why I’m not at the library today.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I should try a library some time. The auditorium in the Apple Store near my office is nice for this too. It's noisy, but I find noise relaxing sometimes.

Heidi Lynn Staples said...

congrats on the interviews! and hang in there--no news is good news.

glad you're blogging. especially with the info about your life--the library, the job search. it's nice to hear what you're up to.

hey, any chance of pix?

Morgan said...

A San Francisco interview! That's the best news I've heard all day! My selfish view aside, that's great that you are getting some good jobs news. And the blog is great!