Saturday, March 3, 2007

Go Huskies!!!

This morning I got an offer from UConn! I have a job! We won’t starve! We won’t have to live under a bridge or sell ourselves for medical experiments! I’m jumping up and down, laughing manically, and scaring Movie Dictator.

The position is Assistant Professor and Associate Director of Creative Writing. Which means that I’ll be co-directing the program and teaching 3 courses a year. A year! And in terms of location, it’s a 1.5 hours drive from Boston, 3 hours drive from NYC, 1 hour drive from Providence, and 40 minutes form Hartford. It means I can visit and enjoy all of these places. It means I’ll be close to Boston, Grub Street, and all my friends there. It means I can continue to teach creative writing, which I love so much. (Though don’t start me about teaching comp. Fortunately, I won’t have to do that anymore.) It means I’ll be working alongside some wonderful, talented, and very funny people, one of whom, as it happens, was the inspiration for Robin William’s character in Dead Poets Society. Can it get any better?

And to all of you who’ve been listening to my angst and helping me get through this insane job-search process: Thank You!

I’m happy, I’m happy, I’m happy!!!

7 comments:

Heidi Lynn Staples said...

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! HURRAH!!! HURRAY!!! ELLEN!!!! So happy for you!! You should be really proud of yourself. You've worked very hard for this day. Many conjobelations!!! xo, Heidi

Andy said...

Congratulations, Ellen, that's fantastic! I'm glad you can stay near Boston (and of course New York).

Anonymous said...

Litman,

A GARGANTUAN congratulations! Not just to you, but to UConn for getting you!

Justin

Anonymous said...

Wow that is so cool! SO COOL!

All my warmest congratulations to you!

Deb

Anonymous said...

Whoo whoo whoo! You rock, Ellen. I'm so glad to hear your news! (Even though I have to hate UConn women's basketball on principle, since I did my undergrad at their arch-rival, the U of Tennessee, Go Vols.) That sounds like a really sweeeeet job. Yay!

And no teaching comp! Hell yes!

... said...

Thank you, guys!!!

Much love,
Ellen

Unknown said...

i'm really proud of you :)

Love,
Juliya