Thursday, September 6, 2007

Out or Not?

The big news is, Chicken is available on Amazon. Really available. Not for pre-order, but actually in stock, “will ship the same day,” and so on. That’s almost two weeks before the official pub date. A good problem to have, right? Except I’m not quite sure what to do about it. Should I alert the whole world that my books is out? Beg for good ratings and Amazon reviews? Or should I wait until the official date – September 17th – at which point, the book will be in actual stores? I think I might break down and send a mass e-mail this weekend – because it’s just too sad to see it listed on Amazon, unnoticed by everyone.

In another news, I did my first radio interview yesterday. And let me tell you, I wasn’t prepared at all. I’m participating in a reading next Tuesday (9/11) at Real Art Ways in Hartford. The event is called The Evening of Literary and Patriotic Dissent, and I’m reading with Steve Almond and Alistair Highet. So the interview was to promote the event (and, to some degree, myself), and it was kind of a last-minute thing. I got the e-mail from Real Art Ways in the morning and did the interview at 4:40 pm. And we’re talking live radio, people! To say that I was stressed is to put it mildly. It’s one thing to screw up an interview that’s just about my book, but it’s a whole other thing when it’s to promote the venue, event, and two other readers. On the one hand, I knew it was an awesome opportunity. On the other hand, I’d never done anything radio, and I had serious doubts I could manage to be coherent let alone eloquent.

To do the interview, I would need a land line. No problem. While I don’t have one at home, I have a normal phone in my office at UConn. I figured I’d get there and do some prep and research for the interview. What happened next is referred to as Murphy’s Law in America and The Law of Bread-and-Butter in Russia. Earlier yesterday morning, the university had a power outage. By the time I got to campus, the power was restored, but the internet was out. (And it stayed out for the rest of the day.) There I was, in my beautiful (if somewhat Spartan) office, with no access to e-mail, no way to read the Press Release for the event, or the bio for one of the fellow participants. Nothing! I was reduced to using telephone!

In the end, I did my best. How it came out, I’m not sure, and I really don’t want to know. Like many people, I hate the sound of my voice and my accent. In my imagination I sound a lot better than in real life, and that's one illusion I think I can live with.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful, lilting accent, missy! So don't hate on it. :)

I'm always encountering people who a) think I'm stupid because of my southern accent or b) are mesmerized by it and just want me to say things with long "i" sounds for their aural pleasure. Either way, I'm not giving it up! Who wants to sound like some TV newscaster?

I bet you did great. Glad that Chicken is out, even unofficially! Can't wait to read it.

Andy said...

I already placed my order!

even more different said...

Hi Ellen,

As I write, I'm in a store where your book is already for sale. In fact, I can see it from here. Should the management be alerted to its street date or is it ok with you for it to be on the shelves already?? :-)

... said...

Thank you, guys!

I don't think it's a problem if the book is out before its "street date." Usually it's the opposite problem -- the book's being late.

As for Sept 17th, I don't even know what it means at this point, except it's my 15th anniversary of coming to America. A nice coincidence.

Ellen

Jane Roper said...

Is the "law of bread and butter" the law that if you drop a piece of bread, it will always land butter-side down?

... said...

Yep, that's the one, Jane. "Zakon Buterbroda."

Ellen